The Scrum methodology of agile software development marks a dramatic departure from waterfall management. In fact, Scrum and other agile processes were inspired by its shortcomings. The Scrum methodology emphasizes communication and collaboration, functioning software, and the flexibility to adapt to emerging business realities — all attributes that suffer in the rigidly ordered waterfall paradigm.
Sorry for the long pause between blog posts. I’ve been traveling way too much lately. This week I was excited to participate in the Scrum Gathering in Las Vegas (you can search through twitter utilizing this hashtag #sglas).
- Stable cross functional teams with known velocities. You won’t compare velocities of the team (that’s bad form), but you can compare their relative increases against one another as part of your funding decisions. From there – you can compare relative velocity growth to the costs of your team to get a cost per feature metric which can then be evaluated against your Earned Value or Agile EV Metrics. If you aren’t doing this – please do consider calling CollabNet so I can help get this set up for you and your teams.
- A FOSS based software environment that compliments the elasticity of Cloud Deployment strategies. A non FOSS environments means having enough commercial licensing in place to meet the demands of autonomous teams using elasticity to map to continuous deployment strategies. This doesn’t work in most regulated industries so be careful if you have external compliance here.
- Building in vertical slices so that we can push to deployment and leverage (b) above.
- Having the ability to measure ‘business value delivery’ vs. saying ‘efficiency of individuals’ – see the EVM stuff in (a) above.
- Your accounting team / source of financing needs to be able to re-evaluate investments more often than a yearly budgeting cycle
Leave a Reply
Scrum Training Series
- Do you REALLY want to learn Scrum? Try a 3.1-day CSM class with case studies. July 25, 2013
- Scrum based funding model – 20 percent May 9, 2013
- MJは６月と７月の２ヶ月間、日本に滞在する予定です。スクラムのコーチングまたはトレーニングに興味のある方は是非ご連絡ください。 March 14, 2013
- The Next Big Idea March 5, 2013
- On Being Available February 17, 2013